[rabbitmq-discuss] Bug in management plugin escaping

Matthew Sackman matthew at rabbitmq.com
Tue Feb 21 11:13:49 GMT 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 12:05:59PM +0100, Lionel Cons wrote:
>  > There should already be a warning printed at startup?
>
> Indeed. startup_log contained:
>
>  *WARNING* Undefined function xmerl_ucs:from_utf8/1
>
> However, since the init script succeeded, we assumed that RabbitMQ was
> happy. Why isn't this (a required package missing) a fatal error?

Ahh, Lionel, I argued long and hard for that. If the code is reachable
and missing, surely that should be a fatal error. However, that, for
example, would stop people using Rabbit at all if they didn't have the
SSL libraries installed, and lots of people have no desire or need to
use SSL connections to Rabbit.

What should and shouldn't be a "fatal" error in this regard depends upon
the user and what they will be using Rabbit for. Alas, Rabbit's
clairvoyance is poor.

Matthew