[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmqadmin and ability to read configuration files

Lionel Cons lionel.cons at cern.ch
Mon Feb 20 12:55:24 GMT 2012

Simon MacMullen <simon at rabbitmq.com> writes:
> Cheers: I've merged the default node and the die newline change.

Thanks.

> I don't understand the point of default_vhost. Without this change, I
> can specify a vhost in the config file and it becomes the default for
> both list and declare. With the change, I see the same thing (as long
> as vhost is defined in the config, default_vhost does nothing).
>
> Can you explain more clearly what this is meant to do?

Sure.

We would like to use rabbitmqadmin to interact with the broker from
another script. The broker specific information (name, password, port,
virtual host...) should be in a config file so that, from the toplevel
script, we just use "rabbitmqadmin -c .../rabbitmqadmin.conf".

If we do put a vhost=foo in the rabbitmqadmin.conf, some commands fail.
For instance:

# rabbitmqadmin -c .../rabbitmqadmin.conf show overview
*** Not found: /overview/foo

If we don't put a vhost=foo in the rabbitmqadmin.conf, the toplevel
script must know which vhost to use for the declare commands.

With our patch, we can put default_vhost=foo in the conf file and both
list/show commands (ignoring it) and declare commands (using it) will work.

Cheers,

Lionel