[rabbitmq-discuss] Performance of "blocking publisher-confirms" vs. transactions

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Fri Feb 17 09:58:08 GMT 2012

On 16/02/12 17:35, Matt Pietrek wrote:
> What I'd like to know is: Is there any benefit to creating our own
> "blocking publisher-confirm publishing"? That is, we'd do the following:
>
> Publish a single message
> Block on an event 'X'
> When the publisher confirm comes in, signal 'X'
> Return from the publish call
>
> In a mirrored queue scenario, is there any advantage to doing this vs.
> using straight-up transactions?

Not really - that's more or less what's happening internally anyway.

You'd have very slightly less network traffic (but no fewer round-trips).

Later down the thread you say that "In a follow up, Simon MacMullen
appears to agree that publisher confirms aren't ideal for us." - I'd
clarify this as if you only allow one message in flight at a time,
they'll be no better or worse than transactions.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, VMware