[rabbitmq-discuss] Ubuntu 11.10 does not shutdown

Sampo Savolainen sampo.savolainen at spatineo.com
Mon Feb 6 10:41:54 GMT 2012

Hi,

The problem is simple: consolekit thinks rabbitmq is a real user using the
computer. Then the login manager (lightdm) does not allow the user to shut
down the computer.

I've fixed this on my computers by changing /usr/sbin/rabbitmq-server to
start rabbitmq with start-stop-daemon instead of su:

.. snip
if [ `id -u` = `id -u rabbitmq` -o "$SCRIPT" = "rabbitmq-plugins" ] ; then
    /usr/lib/rabbitmq/bin/${SCRIPT} "$@"
elif [ `id -u` = 0 ] ; then
    # don't use su, use start-stop-daemon instead
    #su rabbitmq -s /bin/sh -c "/usr/lib/rabbitmq/bin/${SCRIPT} ${CMDLINE}"
    start-stop-daemon \
        --chuid rabbitmq \
        --start \
        --pidfile $RABBITMQ_PID_FILE \
        --exec /bin/sh \
        -- /usr/lib/rabbitmq/bin/${SCRIPT} ${CMDLINE}
else
.. snap

I'm however not 100% sure this fix is globally acceptable. Any thoughts
Simon?

 Sampo

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 1:29 AM, Andrew Del Preore <adelpreore at gmail.com>wrote:

> The version Rabbit MQ Available through Ubuntu (Synaptic) is 2.5.0-1 for
> 11.10.
>
> After investigating my shutdown issues (and trying various acpi options) I
> stumbled across this thread.
> After uninstalling RabbitMQ and force-booting again -> I can restart or
> shutdown as normal. (I've had this for a little awhile)
>
> I don't know if this helps - but x64 Ubuntu 11.10 Desktop (kernel
> 3.0.0.16) (ASUS laptop G73J)
>
> My WAG (Wild A.. Guess) on this would be shutdown signal misinterpreted as
> process-kill which causes a rabbit restart? (hang for us).
>
> Not currently using rabbitmq in this environment so I'm it leaving
> uninstalled for now (also assuming what Sampo is saying about 2.6.1/2.7.0
> is true).
>
> I'll be watching this thread for any updates...

Sampo Savolainen
Head of R&D, Spatineo Oy
sampo.savolainen at spatineo.com
+358-407555649