[rabbitmq-discuss] Federation and upstream cluster

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Fri Dec 28 11:54:20 GMT 2012

Vladislav,

On 28/12/12 09:32, Vladislav Pernin wrote:
> {{shutdown,{server_initiated_close,404,
>                                     <<"NOT_FOUND - home node
> 'rabbit at remote-server1' of durable queue 'federation: upstream-exchange
> -> federation-local:downstream-exchange' in vhost '/' is down or
> inaccessible">>}},

That happens because the queue used by federation is durable but not
mirrored, so when the node on which it was created goes down it is no
longer accessible.

You said you tried making that queue mirrored, but that resulted in
message loss. How did you detect the message loss? Does the upstream
publisher have confirms enabled? If it received a confirmation for a
message then I certainly would expect the message to eventually make it
to the downstream. In the absence of such confirmation all bets are off.

Regards,

Matthias.