[rabbitmq-discuss] BIGIP/F5 and Connection resets

Jason McIntosh mcintoshj at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 16:39:53 GMT 2012

I saw that heartbeats are turned on with 3.0.0 - the question is does 2.8.7
have heartbeat support by default on the server side or can it be turned
on?  How is this different the SO_KEEPALIVE:
http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/inet.html

 There's no details on the documentation about configuring the heartbeat on
2.8.7 setting if there is a configuration option for it.  I did find this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/856764
AND
http://rabbitmq.1065348.n5.nabble.com/Timeout-for-hung-connection-on-rabbitmq-server-td21354.html
I'm not sure what the difference is between a rabbit heartbeat and erlangs
keepalive?  Or is heartbeat just turning on keepalive?  I'm going to look
at the erlang configuration as a possible fix.  We're trying to do this on
the server side so we don't have to modify all of our clients.

Here's a few more details on the exact issue we've encountered
RAB_SERVER <-> F5/Firewall/etc. <-> RAB_CLIENT
the client and server don't have any traffic going through so they get
disconnected in one of two ways.  If we used just a router and not a load
balancer it seems most network firewalls auto disconnect with NO
notification both clients after an hour of no TCP/IP traffic (from what I
understand, SSH for example uses a TCP/IP Keepalive to keep their
connections going).  The load balancer on the other hand does a graceful
RESET to both client and server after our delay of 300 seconds.  We've
tried increasing the delay, but it looks like 2.8.7 by default doesn't set
any kind of heartbeat or keepalive so even if we set it to an hour, we'd
still get resets.

Rabbit clients using spring & the shovel configuration itself handle resets
of the connection pretty gracefully.  The issue is I'd rather not have
resets as I don't trust all clients to be nice about reconnecting.  The
spring code reconnects gracefully - the standard rabbit client doesn't seem
to be as nice about reconnecting.

Jason

--
Jason McIntosh