[rabbitmq-discuss] Restrict resources to virtual hosts/exchanges

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Thu Dec 13 10:36:30 GMT 2012

Hi,

On 12/12/12 20:51, Prabodh Upreti wrote:
> I was thinking maybe they can have a different virtual host/exchange and
> publish/consume in their own space. My problem is now what if they hog the
> resources by consuming tons of messages and affect my application.  Is there
> any way I can allow them to play in the same space but really control their
> activities, i.e. memory/cpu usage etc.

Virtual hosts create an administrative partition, but ignores resource
use. So this can't be used to allocate resources fairly. If that's what
you need then one approach is to use virtualisation and install brokers
in separate virtual machines. This will allow you to allocate resources
to each virtual machine and protect different groups of users from each
other.

Another option is to run separate broker instances of RabbitMQ on the
same OS, but make use of the OS features to place limits on resource
use. You should use a separate node name, TCP port, disk partition and
ulimits for each broker.

-Emile