[rabbitmq-discuss] Creating an auth plugin (Kerberos)

Tim Watson tim at rabbitmq.com
Tue Dec 11 17:07:02 GMT 2012

On 11 Dec 2012, at 16:20, Simon Lundström wrote:

> That was easy. The only hard thing was to get it to compile correctly on
> OS X = ).

Glad it was, and *not at all surprised* it's a pain on OSX - I frequently have issues there as well with .dylib vs .so and whatnot when making linked-in drivers.

> (Note to future readers see
> <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8288358/erlang-nif-test-os-x-lion>)

Thanks for sharing that with the list!

> The NIF needs to be loaded at some point and from the examples and
> documentation I've found that it's done via -on_load, like this:
> <https://github.com/simmel/rabbitmq-auth-backend-kerberos/blob/use_nif/src/rabbit_auth_backend_kerberos.erl#L10-L14>

That *is* the correct way to load a NIF.

> However, I've tried using -on_load before in my plugin and it didn't
> work. I suspected that the -behaviour had some magic which involved
> -on_load and using -on_load in your model bricks that. I worked around
> needing -on_load and forgot about it. However, now I need it again. This
> is from the error log:

-behaviour doesn't affect NIFs at all AFAIK - that behaviour attribute just tells the compiler to puke unless certain functions are defined and exported, and generates a behaviour_info/2 function. Hmn, perhaps that latter part *does* interfere with NIFs, but I've never heard of that before.

> When logging in via AMQP:
>
> =ERROR REPORT==== 11-Dec-2012::09:57:02 ===
> closing AMQP connection <0.287.0> (130.237.168.221:48736 -> 77.238.35.76:5671):
> {channel0_error,starting,
>    {error,undef,'connection.start_ok',
>        [{rabbit_auth_backend_kerberos,check_user_login,
>             [<<"simlu">>,[{password,<<"notmypassword">>}]]},

That's not saying check_user_login is undefined. In fact, check_user_login is not even part of the NIF infrastructure. It looks like it's saying 'connection.start_ok' is undefined. Hmn - doesn't make much sense to me I'm afraid. What happens if you move the NIF part out into another module, using the -on_load attribute there and then just call that utility module from your plugin?

-module(kinit).

-export([init/0, kinit/2]).
-on_load(init/0).

init() ->
  Kinit = code:priv_dir(?APPLICATION) ++ "/kinit.so",
  erlang:load_nif(Kinit, 0).

kinit(User, Password) -> exit(nif_library_not_loaded).

And then in rabbit_auth_backend_kerberos just call:

case kinit:kinit(User, PassWd) of .....

Anyway, if you put the NIF part into another module, you *should* be able to test it outside of rabbit my doing something like:

$ erl -sname foo
banner. .....
% ok = application:start(rabbit_auth_backend_kerberos).
ok
% X = kinit:kinit("auser", "password").
<< a term >>
% io:format("~p~n", [X]).

Then if it *still* doesn't work when you're running it inside rabbit we might need to consider other things that could be going wrong (such as the NIF init magic).

Cheers,
Tim