[rabbitmq-discuss] Fwd: Excessive memory consumption of one server in cluster setup

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Mon Aug 27 17:21:25 BST 2012

Michael,

On 27/08/12 16:53, Laing, Michael P. wrote:
> I have not yet run into this issue but I have a question:
>
> Would it be appropriate to use 'rabbitmqctl set_vm_memory_high_watermark'
> to a low value to temporarily pause publishers, then restart the cluster
> nodes, and then reset to the normal value?

Yes, that should work, i.e. you could lower the threshold on all nodes,
wait for a bit to let the broker work through any backlog, then bounce
individual nodes.

Note that restarting a node will reset the threshold, but since network
listeners only get enabled after queue slave initialisation has
completed that should be fine.

The only time that doesn't work is when you bring down an entire cluster
and then start it back up. There you'd have to lower the threshold on
the first node that comes up before starting any subsequent nodes.

Regards,

Matthias.