[rabbitmq-discuss] .Net RabbitMQ.Client Issue: Deadlock on ConnectionShutdown

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Tue Aug 21 17:13:04 BST 2012

Hi Derek,

On 21/08/12 16:38, Derek Greer wrote:
> I'm trying to deal with connection shutdown logic as an atomic
> operation.  Here's the scenario I'm trying to implement:

I hesitate to mention it, because this library has been deprecated but
not yet completely removed:
http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-dotnet-messagepatterns/

In it you will find an example of how one might go about reconnecting to
a broker. Be warned that this code will be removed soon and is not
guaranteed to work with recent versions of the broker.

>       o refresh each subscription with the new connection

It is not possible to maintain the previous subscription to the broker
and somehow inject a new channel and/or connection into it. You will
need to re-establish all contained channels and all associated
subscriptions when the connection shuts down.

> aside, don't you agree that ConnectionShutdown should be the event you
> should subscribe to when you want to know about connection shutdowns?

Yes.

> As far as the blocking, I'm perplexed as to why we wouldn't be seeing
> the same results.

When I run your Consumer.exe  standalone I also get the same exception
as before.

-Emile