[rabbitmq-discuss] x-message-ttl extension to RabbitMQ

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Thu Aug 16 16:03:21 BST 2012

Hi,

On 16/08/12 15:45, Chris Johnson wrote:
> I meant to say that I want messages to stick around even after they are
> delivered. I'd like specific queues to hold messages even if they have
> been delivered for a specified period of time before deleting them...

You do not need to use the 'x-message-ttl' parameter for this. If you
simply fail to acknowledge messages, and don't use auto-ack then they
will be retained by the broker as unacknowledged messages. You could
also explicitly nack or reject messages with the requeue flag asserted,
which will return them to the queue and they will be immediately
available to other consumers. Note that the redelivered flag will be set
on the message when retrieved subsequently.

-Emile