[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ cluster on a single machine, OSX Lion, Homebrew

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Wed Aug 15 08:41:02 BST 2012

Chris,

On 15/08/12 05:46, Chris Johnson wrote:
> I am attempting to set up a simple, two node cluster on my mac using the
> instructions within the clustering guide:
>
> http://www.rabbitmq.com/clustering.html#single-machine
>
> See the transcript below.
> I've been trying to get this working for many hours, with no luck.
> I'd appreciate it if someone could give me some direction.
>
> [...]

> ?  ~  rabbitmqctl -n hare start_app
> Starting node hare at Wilson ...
> ...done.
> ?  ~  rabbitmqctl cluster_status
> Cluster status of node rabbit at localhost ...
> Error: unable to connect to node rabbit at localhost: nodedown

Notice the difference in host name in the last two commands - the first
has 'Wilson', the second 'localhost'.

That is due to the homebrew formula setting the default node name
explicitly to 'rabbit at localhost':
https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/blob/master/Library/Formula/rabbitmq.rb#L67.
I don't know why they are doing that; possibly because MacOS is
notorious for altering the hostname - you may want to file an issue /
contact the authors.

Meanwhile, if you always specify the node name explicitly - e.g. add "-n
rabbit" to the second command above - you should be fine.

Regards,

Matthias.