[rabbitmq-discuss] Two questions: max bindings and handling no consumer present

Bell, Paul M. pbell at syncsort.com
Wed Aug 1 04:10:50 BST 2012

Hi All,

Is there a limit on the number of distinct bindings a consumer can establish when binding a queue to a topic exchange with a binding key?

It's my understanding, based on what I've learned here, that if a publisher publishes a message to an exchange and outbound from that exchange there is no binding, then the broker will simply discard the message. If there's no one listening (as it were) at the time of publication, then no one gets the message.

Around this phenomenon arises the question of somehow determining that there's an active consumer before publishing a message. The use case here is that these messages represent tasks that need to be run by the consumer. Perhaps these messages will be written by some kind of task scheduler. The point is that I don't want to publish the messages unless I know that a consumer is present and can act upon them.

I suppose this is where the "mandatory" flag comes in. But I'm wondering if there's a way to query  the broker about its infrastructure, e.g., the existence of a queue/binding that would indicate the presence of the consumer.

Thank you.

-Paul

ATTENTION: -----

The information contained in this message (including any files transmitted with this message) may contain proprietary, trade secret or other  confidential and/or legally privileged information. Any pricing information contained in this message or in any files transmitted with this message is always confidential and cannot be shared with any third parties without prior written approval from Syncsort. This message is intended to be read only by the individual or entity to whom it is addressed or by their designee. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are on notice that any use, disclosure, copying or distribution of this message, in any form, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and/or Syncsort and destroy all copies of this message in your possession, custody or control.