[rabbitmq-discuss] Cleaning up after a rabbitmq-server install

Matt Pietrek mpietrek at skytap.com
Mon Apr 23 21:41:42 BST 2012

Hey Matthew,

Sorry for the delayed response - Was out of town for two weeks and
just got backed.

I understand rabbit's default choice to leave the service running
after installing - It makes the "new user" scenario much less error
prone. However, in production environments where state is very
explicitly controlled, it's considered bad form (at least around here)
to combine "installed" and "running" into a single state. We have very
explicit states, e.g.

- Install/configure services for execution - After this completes,
nothing should "just happen" to be running
- Launch services

Regarding your last point, making the user configurable via debconf,
that sounds like exactly like what we need. Please add it to whatever
request list you have!

Thanks,

Matt