[rabbitmq-discuss] AMQP 1.0 Support

Gordon Sim gsim at redhat.com
Sat Apr 21 00:21:42 BST 2012

On 04/20/2012 10:47 PM, Jason J. W. Williams wrote:
>> In 1.0 the publisher sends messages to the node by establishing a link to
>> the node and transferring messages over it. The subscriber indicates the
>> messages it wants from the node by establishing a link from the node. That
>> is standard, not convention.
>
> As you've stated the producer and consumer nodes need to know about
> each other,

No, they do not.

> which is not how an exchange operates, thus proving my
> point.

An exchange operates by having a publisher send messages to it and a
subscriber bind their queue to it in order to receive (possibly a subset
of) those messages.

Likewise in 1.0 the publisher publishes to the node and the subscriber
links to it in order to receive (possible a subset of) those messages.

In neither case does the subscriber need to explicitly know about the
publisher. They simply know about the exchange or, in 1.0 terminology,
the node.

Of course prior to 1.0 you can have the subscriber simply subscribe to a
pre configured queue and have the bindings set up as part of the
configuration. The same is possible with the 1.0 model.

> Emulating the behavior of an exchange would therefore be
> convention.
>

>> Really? Can you give point me somewhere those are described?
>
> http://zguide.zeromq.org/

I'll take lack of anything more specific as confirmation that ZMQ does
not offer primitives for reliability but deliberately leaves that to
applications themselves.