[rabbitmq-discuss] Redefining queue/exchange attributes

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Fri Apr 20 17:56:13 BST 2012

We're aware that the current situation with HA policies is inconvenient;
it was the simplest thing that could possibly work.

However, we're more likely to go in the direction of having things like
HA-ness defined outside of the AMQP arguments mechanism altogether in
future. Really arguments should be for things that application authors
care about; it's a contract with the application that these should not
change. The application should not have to know that its queues are HA
or its exchanges are federated; that's a matter for the broker
administrator.

Cheers, Simon

On 20/04/12 17:51, Elias Levy wrote:
> Are there any plans to allow the modification of queue and exchange
> attributes, say via the REST API?
>
> At the moment if one must redefine the attributes of a queue or
> exchange, you must destroy the queue or exchange and recreate it.  That
> is rather disruptive in a production environment.  If means that
> bindings are destroyed and must be recreated, that consumers must
> restart their subscriptions, etc.
>
> There are many scenarios where one would want to redefine the
> attributes.  Either an error crept in during initial set up, or say, a
> node has gone down and you want to redefine a HA queue by removing the
> dead node from its config and adding a new node.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Elias Levy

Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, VMware