[rabbitmq-discuss] AMQP 1.0 Support

Gordon Sim gsim at redhat.com
Fri Apr 20 14:23:05 BST 2012

On 04/20/2012 09:21 AM, Jason J. W. Williams wrote:
> 1.0 is very difficult to use as an app developer.

I don't think it is.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the point or perhaps it depends on
perspective. I would accept that the 1.0 specification *as a document*
is not particularly useful to an app developer and indeed they were not
the intended audience.

An app developer in my view would generally be using an AMQP library,
rather than implementing the protocol directly, and I can't see how that
would be made any more difficult (if anything for a certain class of
users at least I think it would be more intuitive).

Whether it is more difficult to *implement* such a library is of course
also a different question.

> It solves a very narrow problem set best suited to integrating AMQP brokers better with other non-AMQP brokers.

I very much disagree.

It is certainly not limited to - or even focused on - integration with
non-AMQP brokers though it is deliberately less imposing in terms of a
broker implementations internal architecture to promote even wider adoption.

I don't believe the target problem set has narrowed since earlier
versions however, if anything it is the reverse.

What important problems does it not address in your view?

--Gordon.