[rabbitmq-discuss] Generating a Rabbitmq release

Matthew Sackman matthew at rabbitmq.com
Fri Apr 13 12:26:12 BST 2012

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 01:11:12PM +0200, Alvaro Videla wrote:
> Do you see where I want to go with this approach?

Indeed. In fact, what would be better would be if we just produced a
live CD or something, including an entire operating system which people
could just pop in and boot off. Or maybe even just dedicated hardware -
just plug it into your network, power it on, and it's all there. Of
course, there'd be a fractional increase in maintenance burden -
providing security fixes and updates for an entire OS or even computer
might turn out to be more involved than just for Rabbit itself, but the
ease of use for end users would be vastly improved.

Actually, taking this to its logical conclusion, one might consider even
the existence of such hardware to be annoying - couldn't someone else
take care of even that? Starting to sound an awful lot like the sort of
thing that cloud foundary provides.

Students will waste vastly more time on facebook and twitter each day
than it takes to compile erlang. If learning how tool chains and
compilation of software works is deemed unimportant, then I would
suggest you migrate to something much closer to cloud foundary where the
administrative burden is almost entirely removed.

Matthew