[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq-server start not responding

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Mon Apr 2 15:03:33 BST 2012

On 02/04/12 09:04, Christos Stavrakakis wrote:
> I am running two RabbitMQ 2.8.0-1 servers in cluster mode. After killing
> the one server (kill -9),
> I try to start it again with '/etc/init.d/rabbitmq-server start'.
> Although the server seems to be working (I can see
> it from the management plugin and I can send and receive messages) this
> command never returns.
> I looked at the rabbitmq-server script and I see that the program hangs
> on the rabbitmqctl wait $PID_FILE command.

Well, possibly. That *should* work.

"rabbitmqctl wait $PID_FILE" is supposed to wait around until the server
has started (so that by the time "/etc/init.d/rabbitmq-server start"
returns you have a working rabbit). It will wait indefinitely for

* The PID file to be written.
* The PID in question to be an Erlang VM on which the rabbit application
has been started.

So did the first one happen? Does the PID file exist, and does it
contain the PId of the Erlang VM?

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen