[rabbitmq-discuss] Firehose Tracer

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Mon Apr 2 11:22:29 BST 2012

Hi Brendan,

On 31/03/12 13:27, Brendan Hay wrote:
> I'm currently investigating the feasibility of storing/journaling a
> stream of events that is delivered via rabbit. The firehose tracer would
> be ideal for this, but it has a big fat disclaimer about performance
> implications.

The firehose tracer sounds like the right solution and you should try
that first and determine whether the performance penalty is acceptable.

Another option that you can consider is to connect all peers via a
protocol analyser or to record all network traffic on the AMQP port.
This solution assumes all clients connect over the network (which is not
true for the Erlang direct client) and that they all use AMQP (and not
STOMP, for example).

See http://www.rabbitmq.com/javadoc/com/rabbitmq/tools/Tracer.html

-Emile