[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ Shovel Connections

Matthew Sackman matthew at rabbitmq.com
Fri Sep 16 16:25:27 BST 2011

Hi Mihir,

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 01:58:19PM +1000, Mihir Mone wrote:
> I was wondering whether there is a way in which the connections setup by the
> shovel plugin can be recycled after a certain amount of time. At the moment
> they seem to be persistent connections and the only way to really recycle
> them is to restart the Rabbit server (on either end) itself which is rather
> counterintuitive.

Hmm. I'm a bit confused by this. Whilst the each shovel is running, it
maintains the connections to the source and to the destination brokers.
Are you requesting that if the source queue is empty, the connection to
the destination be dropped? Or, to put it another way, only create the
connection to the destination once there are msgs to relay, and to drop
it after a period of inactivity?

If so, no, there is currently no way to do that. It's an interesting
feature request though. What's the motivation for such a feature?

Matthew