[rabbitmq-discuss] SockJS protocol documentation?

Michael Bridgen mikeb at rabbitmq.com
Wed Sep 14 12:31:38 BST 2011

>> Will the canonical implementation
>> always be Node.js-based?
>
> Given that SockJS arose from use of Socket.io, it made sense to
> present it in a way that the Node.js folks could use.
>
> Another obvious implementation opportunity is a RabbitMQ plugin.  That
> would be in erlang.  Simon is looking in this..

I rather hope he's not. Implementing it as a rabbit plugin would make it
useless for anyone else, while gaining absolutely nothing.

>> What's RabbitMQ team's
>> take on people going ahead and implementing SocksJS server on the JVM, in
>> Ruby and so on?
>
> I think that would be great.

Yes, it would be. Maybe (in the Ruby case) on Goliath? (TBH I don't know
much about Goliath so that may be a daft suggestion ..)

> Have you looked at node.x?  That might be a good place to do some hacking....
>
> https://github.com/purplefox/node.x
>
> Or (eg) https://github.com/purplefox/node.x/blob/master/src/examples/java/org/nodex/java/examples/websockets/WebsocketsExample.java

Well it'd be an interesting experiment. I don't think it's ready for a
"serious" implementation just yet. But trying would certainly be helpful
for moving node.x along.

-Michael