[rabbitmq-discuss] questions about log messages and problems with connections

Rosa, Andrea andrea.rosa at hp.com
Mon Sep 12 13:28:54 BST 2011

Hi Simon,

Unfortunately this is not our case. We don't have a TCP load balancer installed yet.
How rabbitmq count consumers registered on a queue? It counts

> > Analysing the rabbitmq log file I found other strange messages:
> > =WARNING REPORT==== 8-Sep-2011::14:49:08 ===
> > exception on TCP connection<0.11485.6171>  from ipaddr:port
> > connection_closed_abruptly
> >
> > This message is repeated a lot of times in the log file, but It seems
> > that didn't affect the behaviour of our application.
> > It's normal to have so much WARNING messages?
>
> That just means that a connection was closed at the TCP level without
> going through the AMQP close handshaking. If you're seeing this all the
> time and it's not associated with clients getting disconnected when you
> don't expect it, it could be a badly-written client? Which client are
> you using?

We are using python carrot library. We verified that the connection is refused just for one of our nodes.
We needed to restart rabbitmq server in order to fix that problem.

> > And finally these messages:
> > =INFO REPORT==== 8-Sep-2011::13:13:13 ===
> >      alarm_handler: {clear,file_descriptor_limit}
> >
> > =INFO REPORT==== 8-Sep-2011::13:13:13 ===
> >      alarm_handler: {set,{file_descriptor_limit,[]}}
> >
> > These are related with socket problems?
>
> Ah, that's interesting. On Unix every TCP connection requires a file
> descriptor and often operating systems are configured with a fairly low
> limit (1024 is fairly typical). And Rabbit needs to keep some file
> descriptors back for... files. If you want Rabbit to support large
> numbers of connections, look into raising the limit with limits.conf.

Ok thank you, we are going to raise this limit.