[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ using a ton of memory

Matthew Sackman matthew at rabbitmq.com
Thu Sep 8 16:56:56 BST 2011

Hi Justin,

On Thu, Sep 08, 2011 at 08:48:40AM -0700, justin.adam.miller at gmail.com wrote:
> Connections remain constant at 50. I only create about a dozen or so queues.
> Channels do increase over time. They start at 386 and grow to 445 by the
> time I hit the high memory mark. Despite the fact that that number does
> grow, it doesn't SEEM unreasonable.

Those are perfectly normal numbers - nothing unreasonable there.

> > Agreed. If you can provoke this to happen again, then when you reach
> > that point could you run "rabbitmqctl report" and send us the output
> > (maybe off list if you see anything sensitive in there and/or it's
> > huge).
> >
> Unfortunately, I'm unable to send the output of that. But I did generate it.
> Is there anything in particular I should be looking for? I looked through it
> and I don't see anything that looks out of the ordinary, at least as far as
> I'm concerned :)

Ok. How many queues are there? They're mainly empty yes?

> It reports that rabbit is using about 70G of memory (which is where the high
> watermark is set), I think around 20G are used by 'processes' and another
> 40G+ are used by 'binary' I think?

Are you, by any chance, sending massive messages through Rabbit -
messages that are many 100s of MB or bigger? - I firstly can't
understand how a small/normal number of processes can be eating up 20GB,
and secondly how you can get > 40GB of binaries, unless your messages
are massive.

Matthew