[rabbitmq-discuss] Clustering and scaling

Stuart Munro stuart at state.it
Thu Sep 8 12:42:52 BST 2011

Sorry Eugene, my understanding may be wrong, I'll try again.

1. Ideally I would like a few queue consumers servers running with the
ability to add more if/when needed on-the-fly (this doesn't affect
RabbitMQ, but I'll get to that in a second)

2. I would like multiple RabbitMQ servers that are redundant, if one of
the RabbitMQ servers dies the cluster should continue working as normal, I
also want the ability to add additional RabbitMQ servers on-the-fly
without having to tell the queue consumers that a new RabbitMQ server now
exists. This is the bit I don't quite understand how to implement.

In order for section 2 to work (from my understanding) I would need to put
a load balancer in front of the RabbitMQ servers, therefore the queue
consumers don't care about what server they pick-up the job from - it also
allows me to add RabbitMQ servers on-the-fly without reconfiguring as the
queue consumer would simply hit the load balancer.

How do people currently implement multiple RabbitMQ servers?

Thanks

--
Stuart Munro

e: stuart at state.it