[rabbitmq-discuss] Queue depth and no. of consumers.

michael neidhardt meem.ok at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 13:06:24 BST 2011

Hi,
I have a setup with 20 consumers to a single queue. I push approx. 600
msgs on the queue,
and all 20 consumers start running at full speed.
After, say, 20 minutes, I run "rabbitmqctl list_queues name messages
messages_unacknowledged consumers"
and see this:
queuename 540 540 20

This is as expected.

When I get the stats from a queue_declare with passive=True (using
py_amqplib), I am told that
there are no messages in queue, and 20 consumers. This is not what I
expected.

If I kill all consumers and run the python script again, I am told
that there are 540 messages and 0 consumers.

When I start the 20 consumers again, only 2 of them appear to be
getting msgs and actually doing anything,
i.e. iotop and top only list two processes as working.

Anybody has any clues?

I am using RabbitMQ 1.8.1-1  (Debian/Squeeze).

Regards,
Michael.