[rabbitmq-discuss] Consuming one queue versus many queues

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Thu Oct 27 11:36:11 BST 2011

On 27/10/11 05:40, Ilya Volodarsky wrote:
> Is there a performance advantage to dequeuing from multiple queues
> versus just one? I know that each queue has around 4kb of extra
> information with it, so we don't want to make too many. Is there any
> sort of locking disadvantage to just having one queue with a lot of
> traffic?

Well, each queue needs to maintain ordering for the messages that pass
through it, so each queue is a single process. If you have a machine
with lots of cores, or a cluster, you can get more performance out of
several queues than a single one. The overhead per queue is not huge.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, VMware