[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ not starting anymore after removing federation configuration

Jelle Smet smetj.net at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 12:24:37 BST 2011

Hi,

I ran into a situation that RabbitMQ refuses to start when I have removed
the "federation" configuration used to start RabbitMQ initially.
The only way to recover from that situation is:

- restoring your original configuration
- start RabbitMQ
- delete the federation exchange
- stop RabbitMQ
- remove configuration
- start RabbitMQ again.

startup_log contains following information:

... snip ...
starting exchange, queue and binding recovery
...BOOT ERROR: FAILED
Reason: {badmatch,{error,set_not_found}}
Stacktrace: [{rabbit_federation_exchange,create,2},
             {rabbit_misc,'-table_filter/3-fun-1-',4},
             {rabbit_misc,'-table_filter/3-fun-2-',5},
             {lists,foldl,3},
             {rabbit_exchange,recover,0},
             {rabbit,recover,0},
             {rabbit,'-run_boot_step/1-lc$^1/1-1-',1},
             {rabbit,run_boot_step,1}]
{"Kernel pid
terminated",application_controller,"{application_start_failure,rabbit,{bad_return,{{rabbit,start,[normal,[]]},{'EXIT',{rabbit,failure_during_boot}}}}}"}

startup_err contains following information:

Erlang has closed

Crash dump was written to: erl_crash.dump
Kernel pid terminated (application_controller)
({application_start_failure,rabbit,{bad_return,{{rabbit,start,[normal,[]]},{'EXIT',{rabbit,failure_during_boot}}}}})

I can forward a copy of the erl_crash.dump if required.

Thanks,

Jelle