[rabbitmq-discuss] about server start

Marek Majkowski majek04 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 11:31:56 BST 2011

2011/10/24 _-^明 z-- <mejozn at 163.com>

> Hello,I am start the rabbitmq-server in my centos5.6 , when i execute rabbitmq-server script(without add  -detached argument) ,the script stop here "0 plugins activated", i must type 'Ctrl+C' , the script go on execute ..... ,why??

`rabbitmq-server` command is a bash script that is responsible for
running Erlang virtual machine.

What you see is a erlang vm behaviour. It's actually pretty cool, try typing
something like
> 5 + 2.
or
> io:format("asd~n").

Yes... This is an interactive prompt.

Although in most situations you don't need it. That's why -detached option
allows you to run the vm in the background.

Generally, you shouldn't need to run `rabbitmq-server`. You should
use packaged rabbitmq server release and let your operating
system to run and manage it.
On linux startup and stop is often managed by
/etc/init.d/rabbitmq-server script.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
   Marek