[rabbitmq-discuss] Durable Queue

Matthew Sackman matthew at rabbitmq.com
Mon Oct 17 23:41:32 BST 2011

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 11:37:29PM +0100, Matthew Sackman wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 12:57:49PM -0700, Gil Strauss wrote:
> > If I configure durable mirror queue, does any incoming message is
> > being written on the master and mirror disks?
>
> No, not on disk. Replication is largely done in a safe but asynchronous
> way - the master can get "ahead" of the slaves, but only in such a way
> that if the master dies and the slaves then take different decisions, no
> observable difference is possible anyway.

Oh wait, I missed out another sentence or eight:

IF the msg sent to such a durable+mirrored queue are persistent, then
yes, they'll be written to disks on all the mirrored nodes. However,
again, they'll be written to disk largely in an async way. If you want
confirmation that they've been written to disk on all mirrored nodes
then please use publisher confirms, or, on clients that still need
updating to support such things, transactions.

Matthew