[rabbitmq-discuss] Enabling plugins with latest umbrella

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Fri Oct 14 12:49:20 BST 2011

On 14/10/11 12:38, Alvaro Videla wrote:
> Is there anything to declare in plugins using the latest umbrella?

No, however there quite a bit of plugins stuff has changed. In
particular, plugins now need to be "enabled" in order to start. "make
run-in-broker" will do this for you, but one thing that happens as a
consequence is rabbit will figure out the transitive dependencies of
your plugin and try to activate them.

And that's what's breaking. Unfortunately our error reporting here seems
slightly broken, which needs a bit of attention. But the fundamental
problem is that your plugin declares:

   {applications, [kernel, stdlib, msg_store_bitcask_index]}

in its app file - i.e. it depends on itself. Which is not going to work.

Cheers, Simon

> Whenever I run make run-in-broker with my 'msg_store_bitcask_index'
> plugin it failes with this error:
>
> {"init terminating in do_boot",{badarg,[{io_lib,format,["Error:
> ~s~n",[{'EXIT',{{badmatch,{error,{edge,{bad_edge,[msg_store_bitcask_index,msg_store_bitcask_index]},msg_store_bitcask_index,msg_store_bitcask_index}}},[{rabbit_plugins,calculate_dependencies,3},{rabbit_plugins,action,5},{rabbit_plugins,start,0},{init,start_it,1},{init,start_em,1}]}}]]},{rabbit_misc,format_stderr,2},{rabbit_plugins,start,0},{init,start_it,1},{init,start_em,1}]}}
>
>  But if I build the .ez files and drop them inside the plugins folder
> of a Rabbit 2.6.1 installation the plugin works.
>
> Any ideas what do I need to change?
>
> Cheers,

Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, VMware