[rabbitmq-discuss] Implementing Prioritised Queues

Michael Bridgen mikeb at rabbitmq.com
Fri Oct 14 12:07:14 BST 2011

> How does QoS manage to load-balance multiple queues within a channel?
> I thought the queue consulted the limiter before delivering a new
> message...in that case could one add a little bit of logic to the
> limiter to prefer one queue over another? I believe there is already
> some logic in the limiter that tracks rejection rates per
> queue...could this be implemented as an extension to that?

Not really, it's "one phase commit" -- the queue says "will you take
this message?" and the limiter either commits and gets the message, or
doesn't and is thereafter considered blocked.  Thus there's no
opportunity to defer acceptance.

Prioritising consumers for a queue would be easier I think, but sadly
that is the one permutation that no-one seems to need.

-Michael