[rabbitmq-discuss] Implementing Prioritised Queues

James Dear jamesdear at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 13:55:03 BST 2011

Thanks.

But if the application buffer is of bounded size (say < N messages),
and the buffer is fed at equal rate from Q1 & Q2, then over a
time-horizon >> N the buffer will become saturated with lower-priority
Q2 messages and the application will start receiving Q1 and Q2 at an
equal rate again. To solve this you could do one of:
1. Have an unlimited buffer or
2. Ensure the buffer receives Q1 more rapidly than Q2 or
3. Allow the buffer to reject/requeue when it gets saturated with Q2 or
4. Something else?

1. is not really feasible, 2. means there's no longer a need for a
buffer anyway, not sure about 3. but it seems inefficient.

Is there some other way?