[rabbitmq-discuss] Bitcask Message Store Index

Alvaro Videla videlalvaro at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 12:18:40 BST 2011

Matthias,

On Oct 13, 2011, at 10:46 AM, Matthias Radestock wrote:

> I doubt bitcask would perform any better than the default msg_store, since the latter has been highly tuned for queue-like access patterns. One area where bitcask might excel is recovery time, particularly after an unclean shutdown / crash.

I totally agree regarding the implementation of the msg_store. I think that putting another database(MySQL, Redis, Riak) behind a queue could bring a severe performance problem. Having said that what do you think of putting a layer on top of the rabbit_msg_store that could add replication/clustering a la riak_core? So the idea here is to use the same storage backend that the variable queue uses but coordinating read/writes using riak_core. (Keep in mind this is not riak_kv the database known as Riak).

Regards,

Alvaro