[rabbitmq-discuss] Rabbit Crashing

Marek Majkowski majek04 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 19:19:42 GMT 2011

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 18:57, Bruno Carneiro <brunoac88 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> I'm using Rabbit 2.6.1 with the plugins:
> * amqp_client-2.6.1
> * mochiweb-1.3-rmq2.6.1-git9a53dbd
> * rabbitmq_jsonrpc-2.6.1
> * rabbitmq_jsonrpc_channel-2.6.1
> * rabbitmq_jsonrpc_channel_examples-2.6.1
> * rabbitmq_mochiweb-2.6.1
> * rfc4627_jsonrpc-2.6.1-git30c8498
> * webmachine-1.7.0-rmq2.6.1-hg0c4b60a
>
> When I start Rabbit it goes down after a few minutes. Using list_queues I
> get:
> unable to connect to node rabbit at HackSprintFreud: nodedown
> Logs:
> =ERROR REPORT==== 28-Nov-2011::16:46:58 ===
>     application: mochiweb
>     "Accept failed error"
>     "{error,emfile}"

Just a blind guess:
 EMFILE (errno 24 - "too many file descriptors opened")

Maybe you have too many files opened? You can see
the numbers using management plugin.

On linux you can increase the limit by running
`ulimit -n <number>`, but you have to be root.

Usually, rabbit tries to optimize the usage of file descriptors,
in case when you have many queues it can mean that rabbit
opens loads of files. But as you open more and more network
sockets the number of opened files should drop.

This may not be a case for jsonrpc - AFAIK it doesn't have
code for dealing with usual rabbitmq file descriptor
counters. Theoretically in that case, when you have many
files opened by jsonrpc - you may hit the wall.

I suggest run the management plugin and checking the
file descriptors counters, trying to get understanding about
jsonrpc plugin usage. And increasing the file descriptor
limit if necessary.

Cheers,
    Marek