[rabbitmq-discuss] Socket leak in java client library

Steve Powell steve at rabbitmq.com
Mon Nov 28 16:53:17 GMT 2011

Hi Iain,

On 28 Nov 2011, at 15:27, Iain Hull wrote:
> The problem occurs when com.rabbitmq.client.ConnectionFactory.newConnection()
> is called with a bad hostname. In this case
> com.rabbitmq.client.ConnectionFactory.createFrameHandler(Address) creates a
> socket that is never returned or closed because of an IOException.

and

> There appears to be a similar leak in
> com.rabbitmq.client.ConnectionFactory.newConnection(Address[])
> where connections are created and never returned or closed
> when an IOException occurs...

We are working in this area; we are looking to replace the
ConnectionFactory with another mechanism (ConnectionBuilder) which doesn't
have this problem.  The ConnectionFactory will still exist, however,
(though deprecated) and
this problem will be fixed therein.  I have raised Bug 24597 to track it.

(You should see it in the next release).

Thank you for spotting this.

Steve Powell  (a happy bunny)
----------some more definitions from the SPD----------
avoirdupois (phr.) 'Would you like peas with that?'
distribute (v.) To denigrate an award ceremony.
definite (phr.) 'It's hard of hearing, I think.'
modest (n.) The most mod.