[rabbitmq-discuss] questions about RpcClient

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Mon Nov 21 09:24:48 GMT 2011

On 21/11/11 09:11, john doe wrote:
> Thank you Matthias.
> If this class is known to *not* be threadsafe, why is there a
> "synchronized" statement in primitiveCall? It somewhat confuses me.

That synchronisation is necessary for the coordination of the thread
issuing a call with the thread on which the reply arrives.

The code calls _channel.basicPublish, which is not threadsafe, outside
of any synchronisation context. Hence it is not safe to issue calls from
multiple threads or use the underlying channel in other threads.

Matthias.