[rabbitmq-discuss] Millions of possible values in a message routing key

Julio Polo julio at hawaii.edu
Fri Nov 18 19:16:01 GMT 2011

I'm wondering if it's feasible to set up a topic exchange and have the
message routing key's first word be the person's identifier:

<personNumericID>.<action>.<attribute>

This way, applications may subscribe only to messages for the few
people they are interested in.

Are there any performance issues if a word in a message routing key
can have a very large range of values?  Let's say 70,000 possible
values. What if it grows to a million and beyond? Does it matter?

I doubt we'd implement the above, but it's nice to know if it ever
comes up.   We're most likely to implement a message routing key like
<deptCode>.<action>.<attribute> where <deptCode> can have about 1000
possible values.  I assume that should be no problem.

Julio Polo
University of Hawaii