[rabbitmq-discuss] Unable RabbitMQ Server as no-root user

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Thu May 19 11:05:11 BST 2011

On 19/05/11 10:56, Sunil Kapoor wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have install rabbitmq server through rpm. It is running fine when
> running from root user or sudo user.
> I have created a user sunil and assigned rabbitmq group as secondary
> group for user sunil. And I have also given permission to installed
> directories and log directory of rabbitmq setup. But still when i am
> running /etc/init.d/rabbitmq-server start it is not able to run in the
> startup log i am getting following exception in the log file
> /var/log/rabbitmq/startup_log.
>
> Usage:
> rabbitmq-multi <command> [<command options>]
>
> Commands:
>      start_all <count>
>      status
>      stop_all
>      rotate_logs
>

> Only root or rabbitmq should run rabbitmq-multi

With the standard RPM packaging of RabbitMQ, running
/etc/init.d/rabbitmq-server start as root will cause the server to run
as the rabbitmq user.

This is achieved by wrapping the rabbitmq-server, rabbitmqctl and (on
older versions that have it) rabbitmq-multi scripts in a script that
becomes the rabbitmq user (and thus needs root privileges to do so).

If you want to run RabbitMQ as a different user, you'll need to invoke
the "real" scripts which are located in /usr/lib/rabbitmq/bin/. You may
also need to do some redirecting and nohupping.

But if you just want to drop privileges, that happens by default.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
Staff Engineer, RabbitMQ