[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ with WAN latencies

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace lists at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Wed May 18 07:18:31 BST 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-17 at 13:39 +0200, Alvaro Saurin wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I was wondering if you could help me determining if RabbitMQ is appropriate for some WAN scenario...
>
> I have to send control messages to 50 or 60 machines deployed around the world, so they can subscribe to some message types and then perform some actions. Maybe some machines will be grouped in small clusters of 4-5 machines, and some tasks can be run by any machine in that group, but there will also be some tasks that will be targeted to some specific machines. There should be a very low traffic, with maybe just a couple of messages per second, so I was planning to use a simple architecture, with one central broker.
>
> I want to keep things simple, but I'm a bit concerned about the effects latency could have, and I have also read that connectivity losses could have some negative impact. My question is, could I keep this simple architecture or will I need something a bit more complicated like rabbitmq with xmpp or shovel? I have not found many docs about using RabbitMQ on WANs, so maybe nobody is crazy enough for trying this... maybe I should not use RabbitMQ at all?  :)
>

> Cheers
>

> Alvaro

Hi Alvaro,

Out of interest, is this for MCollective?  If so, I'd love to know how
you get on, we're just setting up MC with rabbitmq across at three
geographically separate locations (2 in the UK and one in Ireland to
begin with and possibly more to come across Europe).

My main concern is addressing the secure transfer of data between
clusters of rabbitmq nodes, however that's a question for the list at a
another time... :)

Cheers,

M.