[rabbitmq-discuss] Spying on "mandatory" messages

Charly Hamy charly.hamy at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 14:15:03 GMT 2011

Matthew, Alvaro,

thanks for your answers and your reactivity!

I understand that the "mandatory" feature definitely lacks flexibility to be
used for one-to-many communications and that there is no easy workaround.

The "non auto-delete, non exclusive queue" solution would not be suitable to
my case, I really need messages to be dropped, and the sender to be alerted.
The Smart Proxy approach is interesting, but doesn't seem compatible with
the use of the mandatory flag, and the return alerts associated.

I've managed - with 10 lines of erlang - to let queues have an additional
boolean "spy" parameter, and have the "spy" queues deliver the mandatory
messages without this counting as a correct delivery, from the router point
of view. Twisted, but it's working. (and it's much simpler than having "spy"
bindings, the routing and delivery being two separated mechanisms).

My modifications:

*rabbit.hrl :*
*(edition of the amqqueue record, line 47)*
*
*
     -record(amqqueue, {name, durable, auto_delete, exclusive_owner = none,
spy=false,
                   arguments, pid}).

*rabbit_amqqueue.erl :*
*
*
*(line 115, spec of deliver/2 edited )*

* -spec(deliver/2 :: (pid(), rabbit_types:delivery()) -> boolean()|spy).*

*
*
*(edition of rabbit_amqqueue:declare)*

declare(QueueName, Durable, AutoDelete, Args, Owner) ->
    ok = check_declare_arguments(QueueName, Args),
    Q = start_queue_process(#amqqueue{name = QueueName,
                                      durable = Durable,
                                      auto_delete = AutoDelete,
                                      arguments = Args,
                                      spy = case lists:keyfind(<<"spy">>, 1,
Args) of
                                             false -> false;
                                             _ -> true
                                      end,
                                      exclusive_owner = Owner,
                                      pid = none}),
    case gen_server2:call(Q#amqqueue.pid, {init, false}, infinity) of
        not_found -> rabbit_misc:not_found(QueueName);
        Q1        -> Q1
    end.

*(edition of rabbit_amqqueue:deliver/2)*
*
*
     deliver(QPid, Delivery = #delivery{immediate = true}) ->
          gen_server2:call(QPid, {deliver_immediately, Delivery}, infinity);
     deliver(QPid, Delivery = #delivery{mandatory = true}) ->
          case gen_server2:call(QPid, {deliver, Delivery}, infinity) of
               spy -> spy;
               _ -> true
          end;
     deliver(QPid, Delivery) ->
          gen_server2:cast(QPid, {deliver, Delivery}),
          true.

*rabbit_amqqueue_router.erl :*
*(edition of rabbit_router:fold_deliveries/2, line 105)*

     fold_deliveries({Pid, true},{_, Handled}) -> {true, [Pid|Handled]};
     fold_deliveries({_,  spy}, {false, Handled}) -> {false, Handled};
     fold_deliveries({_,  _},{_, Handled}) -> {true, Handled}.

For the moment, I think I'll go with this :)
Thanks again for your help.

Charly
*
*