[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ and server-push

Gavin M. Roy gmr at myyearbook.com
Wed Mar 16 22:20:57 GMT 2011

On Wednesday, March 16, 2011 at 6:07 PM, Clint Gilbert wrote:
> Great, thank you for your response! Your code appears to just publish
> messages to a server - or am I missing something? Is it possible to
> have the client establish a connection to the server, optionally send a
> message to the server, and then wait for (and process) one or many
> messages from the server?
I can't speak to the stay connected, as I don't know if the plugin does comet style long polling, but it is possible to do most everything. The one thing I'd be curious about, and just need to investigate, is do the JavaScript demos for the plugin is Basic.Consume. If they so, I imagine it would need to keep the connection open. A worst case would be a Basic.Get poll.

My goal was basically reuse of sessions in the RPC plugin to make publishing as fast and easy as possible with HTTP (no multiple requests).

It appears the core use case of the plugin is to create a channel/session for each client and use that for consuming and sending. Check out the JSON-RPC channel plugin and the examples, which both can easy be installed in a Rabbit server. It should give you a good idea of what is possible and includes a chat demo.

The biggest issue with the plugin is the lack of documentation. I am going to contribute that back along with a fully working Python client for it (not just publish), but it is lower on my priority list at the moment.

Gavin