[rabbitmq-discuss] Losing messages, why?

DOBRO Sergei vertolet666 at yandex.ru
Tue Mar 1 22:13:20 GMT 2011

02.03.2011, 00:29, "Matthias Radestock" <matthias at rabbitmq.com>:
> On 01/03/11 21:22, DOBRO Sergei wrote:
>
>>  Another client sends a message to the worker, but no database updates
>>  are made. After that (some seconds later), the client sends the same
>>  message and the job is done.
>
> How do you know whether the client has sent a message to the worker?

I am the client :) I am one of the clients, actually. Sure, I can control sending messages.

> And what causes the client to send the same message again? Is it waiting for
> a confirmation which does not arrive and hence re-trying?
Yes, each client is waiting for a confirmation from the worker.
If it is too long (e.g. more than 5 seconds), the client can make an effort to re-send a message and get the result.

> Does the client log the retry attempts, and that's how you know that something is
> going wrong?
Yes, it does log all the messages published and it does log all the messages received.
When something is going wrong, I get my site forum flooded with messages like "Aaaaaah! Nothing works! Help me, quick!", etc. :)
That's the way how I know about that :)
I restart the workers and all of the clients become happy :)