[rabbitmq-discuss] Building a recent rabbitmq-c with 0-8 protocol

Pieter de Zwart pdezwart at rubiconproject.com
Tue Mar 1 18:29:13 GMT 2011

Alright, I finally found an old version of the binary that works. I am going
to get this up and running and then start prepping for the the update to
2.x.

Thanks for the help David, sorry to be a PITA.

me

On 3/1/11 9:51 AM, "Pieter de Zwart" <pdezwart at rubiconproject.com> wrote:

> So, I am a mercurial n00b. IS there any chance you can point me to two
> URLs,
one for the rabbitmq-c repo, one for the rabbitmq-codegen repo, that I
> can
use to generate an 0-8 client library, so that I can then upgrade to
> 2.3.1.
The combination of:
// librabbitmq-0.1-amqp_0_8 tag
$ hg clone
> http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-c/rev/ce1eaceaee94
// rabbitmq_v1_7_2
$ hg
> clone http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-codegen/rev/c7c5876a05bb

Yields what
> seems to be a 0-9-1 client, since I used the steps below to try
to compile it,
> and had to move the 0-9-1 json spec out of the way.

Thanks for you
> help.
Pieter

On 2/28/11 2:26 PM, "David Wragg" <david at rabbitmq.com>
> wrote:

> Hi Pieter,
>
> Pieter de Zwart <pdezwart at rubiconproject.com>
> writes:
>> I sincerely hope that this is stupid question with an easy answer.
> I am
>> trying to build a somewhat recent version of the rabbitmq-c library to
> use
>> with the PHP extension, but that uses the 0-8 protocol since our
> production
>> broker is still 1.7.2 (working on upgrading that, but that¹s a
> separate
>> discussion.)
>>
>> To do so, I edited the configure file to point
> to the amqp-rabbitmq-0.8.json
>> codegen spec, changed the Makefile to not
> build tools, examples and tests
>> (those broke,) and tried to un it.
> According to my server however, its still
>> trying to use 0-9-1 (Expected
> 0x000A000A method frame on channel 0, got
>> frame type 65)
>>
>> Should this
> have worked? Am I maybe just installing this wrong? I cleaned
>> out all
> librabbitmq.so files and symlinks, so I doubt its the problem, but I
>> am
> looking for a sanity check here.
>
> There is no intention for this to work.
> There are AMQP
> version-dependent areas outside of the generated code.  You
> can see the
> complete changes that were involved in the switch of the C
> client to
> 0-9-1 at <http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-c/rev/168205522459>.
>

> With that said, it's probably not that difficult to revert the changes.
>
> If you don't care about the changes outside of librabbitmq/, and you
> discard
> the changes to code that wasn't generated back then but is now,
> it looks to
> me like there are only a couple of changes relevant (to
>
> librabbitmq/amqp_socket.c and librabbitmq/codegen.py).
>
> Perhaps we should
> be gratified that people are still running the 1.7.2
> broker in production.
> But I'd strongly recommend you upgrade at the
> earliest opportunity, both for
> the many enhancements and for the bug
> fixes.  You do know that old 0-8
> clients can still talk to the latest
> versions of the broker, so you don't
> have to upgrade your whole AMQP 0-8
> infrastructure at once?
>

> David

rabbitmq-discuss
rabbitmq-discuss at lists.rabbitmq.com
https://lists.rabbitmq.com/cgi-bin/ma

--
the rubicon project

PIETER DE ZWART | LEAD, INTERFACES TEAM
??? P 310 207 0272 | x224
??? C 408 666 4443
??? F 323 466 7119

1925 S. BUNDY DRIVE
LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA 90025

WWW.RUBICONPROJECT.COM <http://www.rubiconproject.com/>

“MOST INNOVATIVE COMPANY” - AMERICAN BUSINESS AWARDS ‘10
 REVV IS OPTIMIZING 1.4 MILLION ADS PER MINUTE