[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ and groups of users

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Wed Jun 29 17:10:31 BST 2011

On 28/06/11 12:58, Massimo Paladin wrote:
> correct me if I am wrong but I haven't seen the possibility to specify
> groups of users in RabbitMQ.
>
> It would be great to have this feature.
> In an environment with many users it would simplify quite a lot the
> permission definition and modification.

That's correct, the internal database does not have groups.

> Users could be grouped and groups could have their own settings.

In my (humble!) opinion, if you have a lot of users to manage you should
either be using some plugin that lets you get users from an external
source (e.g. the rabbitmq-auth-backend-ldap or
rabbitmq-auth-backend-http plugins), which allow you to implement
groups, or you should be managing them using something like Puppet or
Chef, or rolling your own script that talks to mgmt so you can define
these things en masse.

That's what I'd do, anyway.

Cheers, Simon

--