[rabbitmq-discuss] will not start on fedora 12

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Wed Jun 8 10:20:19 BST 2011

When we've seen this error message before, it's been because the
machine's hostname *is* resolvable in the DNS, but does *not* actually
point to the machine in question. Erlang starts epmd and attempts to
connect to `hostname`, but since that's not the same machine, epmd is
not running there.

Kenneth, does that sound like it could describe your problem? Is the
machine really "xlquest"?

Also, I think we changed that error message in 2.4.1 - are you running
an older version?

Cheers, Simon

On 08/06/11 06:24, Michael Klishin wrote:
> epmd [1] is Erlang runtime daemon that uses port 4369 by default. Can
> you check that port is accessible
> or that epmd is running?
>
> 1. http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/epmd.html
>
> 2011/6/8 Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at thenilgiris.com
> <mailto:lawgon at thenilgiris.com>>
>
>     Error: {cannot_connect_to_epmd,"xlquest",address}
>
>     I have done an extensive search, but not come up with a solution. Any
>     clues?
>

> --
> MK

Simon MacMullen