[rabbitmq-discuss] STOMP - Message queue selectors for consumers?

Toby Corkindale toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au
Wed Jun 8 03:15:58 BST 2011

On 07/06/11 21:30, Rob Harrop wrote:
> Toby,
>
> The solution you propose is the easiest and most efficient way of doing
> it on RabbitMQ STOMP. Using different /queue/ destinations removes the
> need for complex matching during message routing.
>
> Queues are cheap in RabbitMQ and each /queue corresponds to one queue,
> so creating a queue per country is not expensive. Also, queues are
> created lazily so you don't need to worry about ordering
> consumers/publishers.

Hi Rob,
Thanks, that's good to know.

Let's say I change the example to using machine hostnames or IP
addresses. In that case there are not going to be large numbers of
unique names in use at any one time, but over time the names may stop
being used and new ones will appear.

So I could use STOMP destinations such as:
/queue/hostname.foobar.example.com

Is there a way to clean up the queues once those machines have gone
away, say after some months or more of use?

I couldn't spot anything on the STOMP plugin page, nor the rabbitmq
admin guide page.

I can see there is a "list_queues" option to rabbitmqctl, but not a
corresponding delete_queue option.. Where would I find that?

Sorry about all these newbie questions..
Thanks again for your help,
Toby