[rabbitmq-discuss] Message is available in multiple queue

Alvaro Videla videlalvaro at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 13:35:37 BST 2011

Setting the reply_to of a message does not put the message on a queue whose name is the value of that message property.

Messages are routed based on exchanges and bindings. So you publish a message to an exchange using certain routing key. If there's a queue bound to that exchange whose binding matches the routing key you used to publish the message then the message will be delivered to said queue.

The reply_to property is usually used for RPC scenarios. You publish messages adding a reply_to value to them. Then the consumer on the other end inspects that reply_to value and publishes a reply message to the anonymous exchange (or unnamed exchange) using that reply_to property as routing key. Since every queue is bound to that anonymous exchange using its name as binding key, the message will arrive to said queue.

See: http://eaipatterns.com/ReturnAddress.html and http://www.rabbitmq.com/tutorials/tutorial-six-python.html for some sample implementation.

Regards,

-Alvaro