[rabbitmq-discuss] Installation Trouble on Windows - "The handle is invalid"

Ann Witbrock (c) awitbrock at vmware.com
Wed Jul 27 11:18:21 BST 2011

Hi Chris,
I'm sorry our troubleshooting instructions weren't able to help you.

Does the rabbitmq service still appear in your list of services?
Is epmd.exe still running in your processes? You may like to kill that.
Did you make any change to the cookie or was that ok?

It sounds like you had an older version already installed. Is that correct?
If so, you may need to install the older version combination in order to stop and remove the old service.
After removing the service you should be able to uninstall rabbitmq, remove directories (including mnesia and logs if you want) and uninstall erlang, and remove any environment variables you dont want (eg from path and ERLANG_HOME).
Double check there is no RabbitMQ service present and that epmd.exe is not running. You may wish to reboot.

After that a clean fresh install should work ok. Our "experimental" installer works quite well, just ensure you stop, remove and start the service again (or reboot) after adding plugins. Also remember you may need to run some steps as administrator (elevated permission).

Ann