[rabbitmq-discuss] Reconnection strategies in Pika

Tony Garnock-Jones tonygarnockjones+rabbitmq at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 19:48:49 BST 2011

2011/7/26 Marek Majkowski <majek04 at gmail.com>

> I suspect, the idea was to support automatic reconnections. But this
> is quite hard in AMQP world (that's a polite way of saying "impossible").

It's not so bad actually. The application needs to know what to do when the
connection comes back, of course, but automation of the connection
lifecycle, with backoff etc and notification of the transitions between
states is quite straightforward.

> I wouldn't be surprised to hear that that feature was never finished.

It was working OK way back at pika 0.5.x, but I think it might have slipped
out of sync with the refactorings that have happened since. If you're
interested, you can see a functional example of the use of automatic
reconnections in a shovel-like tool at
https://github.com/pika/pika/blob/ffac8a64c23e1d1e8aabacfefb91abc125d31375/examples/demo_relay.py.
That tool, once started, was able to cope with repeated broker restarts at
either end.

Regards,
  Tony